Saturday, October 1, 2011

Contemplating a run in a mini marathon in a little over 2 months. Any suggestions on a good training regimen?

I'm 5'6 139 lbs and am 27 years old with a slender slightly muscular body. I haven't ran or jogged in over a year but began jogging a mile each day a few days ago. The date of the mini is Oct 20 and while I'm doubtful that I'll be ready by then I'm gonna give it a shot. So having said that, would you say 2 months is enough time to adequitely train for a mini? If so then what benchmarks should I shoot for each week in order to determine whether or not I would make it all 13 miles? Any particular foods I should eat that might benefit me in this goal? What ever combination of diet, exercises and benchmarks that I should employ is basically what I'm asking for. Any auggestions would be appreciated?|||A mini marathon would be like at least 21 km long or 15km. Either way, 2 months may not be enuff unless you are a seasoned runner. But still that does not mean you don;t try. Anything done with willpower will be sucessful.





The thing to do now is to make a training plan. You need to start running which is what you are already doing. You said a mile. For starters i guess that would be ok. But every week you need to increase it. Donlt run every day. That will wear your knees out. Alternate between running and strength trainng for the legs.





The best exercises to traint the legs are squats, lunges, leg extensions, calf raises. Do about 3 exercises of about 3 to 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps. The stronger your legs the longer you will be able to carry yourself during the run.





As for diet. You are not running the marathon so forget about the stuff about carb loading. Stick with lots of vegetables and fruits and protein for your meal. Eat a balanced meal with snack in between. Eat right after each exercise session as taht will aid in recovery. Protein will be useful in this regard.





As for benchmarks. I canlt tell you exactly. I want you to make some for yourself. You know how much time you have before the mini marathon. Each week increase your miles and challenge yourself to go the extra distance. But do give yourself a break once a week.....you don't wanna fall sick. Running 3 to 4 times a week with 1 to 2 strength training sessions is more than enuff. Take a day or 2 off and relax.





Lastly, one imprtant thing. The week before race day, try not to do any physical activities. Stretching and light jogging is fine. You want your legs and body fully rested for the big day. Trust me you will see a difference if you do. Good luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment