Saturday, October 1, 2011

How can I start training a mini pony?

I'm looking to get a mini pony and have been thinking about how I'll do some training. I've been training, riding and caring for horses for about 10 years now and I've had my own horse for about 8 so far. So my parents have agreed to getting a mini pony. I know I've wanted to teach him the join up, lunging, long lining and a few other things. How should I start and go along with training?|||well first of all, they are mini horses. (:


i have miniatures and they are so small sometimes people tend to let them get away with things. so the first thing i teach mine is to stop when i stop, walk when i walk, and turn away from me when i turn into you. (basically my space- your space) then i teach them to lunge on a long line. on the long line i teach them the word "whoa". after a lot of repetition, they will soon slide to a stop. after whoa they learn to back on command, which i also teach on a lunge line. all of these things are they basics they need to know, especially if you are going to drive them in the future.





if you are going to show...





halter- they learn to "stand" (put their hooves square)





i teach them to side pass both directions, pivot on the forehand and hindquarters, and ground tie. this is if you are going to show obstacle ( like a trail class for big horses.) this is taught by the your space, my space thing.





they can jump(: my favorite.





they can drive, which is a lot of ground work. if you ever have any questions on driving, feel free to ask.





hope i helped!|||start with lots of grown work: walk it around in hand and spend lots of time with it making it good with different things like picking its feet up then start lunging and long lining! :)

1 comment:

  1. Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing. mini projector best buy

    ReplyDelete