Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How does the Mini Cooper do in the snow?

I'm really excited about getting a Mini Cooper S but my husband was just relocated to a place where it snows. It doesn't snow so much that I would be constantly driving on snowy streets, but it would probably happen between 1 - 10 times during the winter, and my commute wouldn't be every far to and from work. Does anyone who has first-hand experience with the Mini know how well it does in snow? Are a good set of snow tires going to be enough? Thanks!|||MINIs do fairly well in the snow. For areas with frequent snowfall, snow tires will make a big difference. More agressive tread, a narrower footprint and a better cold rubber compound help very much.





Snow tire recommendations are here: http://www.motoringfile.com/2009/11/13/a…





If it is worrying for you, you might want to consider waiting 6-8 moths and getting a new MINI Countryman in 4 wheel drive: http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/03/31/m…|||New lighter weight aluminum engines have made small light front wheel drive cars less than hoped for in snow. My 07 Toyota Corolla is terrible in snow. I have tried two different types of traction type tires and while they are better than the original tires, traction is still poor. Since I ususally drive alone, I put two 40# bags of salt on the passenger side front floor for the bad weather. That together with my better tires helped enough to get by.|||Any car with front wheel drive should do fairly well. It is a small car so plowing through heavy snow might be an issue. Use to drive a Neon in the snow, was a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment