Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How to choose the right thread size for my mini sewing machine?

I bought the little mini multi-purpose sewing machine. The purple Pixie by Singer from Wal-Mart. It came with tiny size thread and when I bought some from Target, it was too thick so I am not sure what size or whatever to get. I read that you can buy certain kinds depending on the material you are sewing but I don't think that applies to this machine.|||http://singerco.com/company/contact_us.h鈥?/a> is where I'd start... I found the manual on their website, but it says nothing of thread size.





Personally, I doubt this will be a very long-lived machine, so I'm not sure I'd go out of my way trying to locate lightweight thread for it. You can occasionally find what's often called "lingerie thread" that may be the correct weight for the machine. Usually available only in light colors. You might also consider "bobbin thread" for an embroidery machine -- usually only available in black and white.





Thread size: http://www.ctsusa.com/showpages.aspx?pid鈥?/a>


http://www.fashion-incubator.com/archive鈥?/a>





Thread size and needle size have to match to work well. Needle size in both numbering systems for needles goes up as the numbers increase. Thread size, however, is a little odd. If you see numbers like NE50/2 (or just 50/2), this is the old English thread size or metric thread size -- the higher the first number, the thinner the thread. If you see numbers preceded by TEX or T the higher the number, the thicker the thread.|||You need to go to a store that sells fabric. Take the needle out of the sewing machine so that they can see the size of the hole in the needle. Buy the best thread you can as the cheap thread frays easily and will cause you problems when you are sewing. Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment